Thursday, December 3, 2015

Enough

355 mass shootings in fewer than 340 days.

A mass shooting is defined as the shooting of 4 or more people. That number is astronomical. To think that this is the number of people shot by the use of firearms alone is heart-stopping. Let's not even go to suicide. How many people are we willing to lose? 

Apparently, we have become apathetic as a country to people that are not in our immediate family. Apparently, we are more concerned with the rights of gun owners and the labeling of those with mental illness than we have with impacting actual, meaningful change. Apparently, we are more interested in the name of the movement than the actual movement. Apparently, we would rather remain blind to the fact that WE have and continue to grow these terrorists, both foreign and domestic due to our actions and inaction. 

The pure disgust I have when I hear the liberal vs conservative rhetoric over gun rights, mental health access, and who is responsible for what is real. Responsible gun owners know and want better gun laws. And intelligent people know that guns do not kill people. We cannot allow everyone to have access without more thorough screening. It is a constitutional right to bear arms. I should also have the right to go to work without getting shot. Better yet. I should have the right to turn on the news and not see others being shot at work. 

As we continue, yes we, to see the normalcy with which these happen, we become numb. We moan and complain on Facebook, on Twitter and to our friends. We pray for the victims and their families. Some of us pray for the shooters. And while I believe very strongly in prayer, there is no action. We have done nothing as a country to stop this. And so it grows. We fight like hell to jump in another country's war and let our own country destroy itself. 

As for these terrorists....I have no words. Everyone couldn't wait to see the race of the individuals in San Bernardino. The reporters were actually salivating to get the answer. Was this a terrorist attack?  Keep this in mind, he was born and raised here. In America. As are most of the mass shooters in this country. WE are growing them. WE have a responsibility to them. And for those of you shaking your head no at this point, YOU, are part of the problem. 

I don't have the answers. Will never pretend I do. I can tell you that I will continue to educate myself and others on being trauma informed. I will talk to kids about what they see and hear. Because the news is dangerous. It is constant, and it is everywhere. I want them to understand that what they are hearing may not be true and they should also have some safe places to talk about any questions they have. I encourage you to do something. Something besides pray. We have been praying. And we can and should continue. Our leaders are thinking and praying. Not acting. And yesterday 15 more people were killed in TWO separate shootings. 

When is it enough? I was done years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment